Have any questions we didn't answer? Call us at
What to Do When It’s Time to Move
30-60 Days Before the Move:
- Sell, give away or discard anything you do not want to move.
- Return all items you have borrowed.
- Collect all items you have lent.
- Make airline and hotel reservations if necessary.
- Prepare a room by room inventory of everything you will be moving.
- Write down the model and serial numbers of all appliances.
- Notify the post office of your change of address. Visit the United States Postal Service website to obtain the proper form.
- Notify your insurance company that you are moving.
- Arrange to disconnect telephone, water and electricity from your old location the day after your move.
- Arrange to have the telephone, water and electricity connected at your new location the day of your move.
- Arrange to have appliances, chandeliers and other electrical objects disconnected (water, electricity and gas).
- Collect all valuable documents and place in a safe location. Delta Van Lines is not responsible for bills, account information, currency, money of any kind, passports, deeds, wills, tax paperwork, debt information, notes, securities, stamps, precious stones, jewelry, medication, prescriptions or other similar items. These items should not be included in your shipment.
- Provide the moving company the exact address to where you will be moving, indicate the major intersections and if needed, provide them with a map.
1-10 Days Before the Move:
- Pack suitcases with the personal items you will need until the move is completed and you will have time to unpack.
- Make a list of the items you will take with you in your car. If possible, place them together in one room.
- Make labels clearly marked DO NOT MOVE for items that the movers will not be moving. If possible, place them together in one room.
- Pack toiletries and other personal items.
- Be around the movers: they may have questions that only you can answer.
- Get copies of any papers you sign.
- When loading is complete, walk around each room to make sure that nothing has been left behind.